Friday, August 5, 2011

Ninth Annual Subaru 24 Hour Champion Challenge 2008

Summary of post
Thrills and spills... guts and glory... pushing and breaking the limits of human endurance in a 24-hour mountain bike relay race at Seven Springs Resort, PA.
(The pic above taken by Mark Dempster)

The Race
Over 300 men and women, in teams, duo or solo, tested their mettle mountain-biking repeatedly on a punishing 12-mile course this past Labor Day weekend. The aim was to complete as many laps as possible within 24 hours, which meant riding in the night. That's right - d-a-r-k. The course has a tight, twisty single-track through the woods, some extremely technical barely walkable 'rock garden' sections and a long, steep, uphill, heart-attack-inducing climb.

Why do it?
Spencer Clark (Team Buffalo Riders I): "It's the Woodstock of Mtn Biking, man".
Mark Dempster (Team Buffalo Riders II): "This is my Christmas!"
Joe Ruggery (Veteran Cyclist, Solo): 24 Hours for Tom (a fundraiser).
Grace: "Dunno... I think I'll go pick some blackberries".
From the viewpoint of a non-mountain-biker, I'll say this: The 24 Hour Race is one huge party. It's hard not to get caught up in the festivities that celebrate the riders, the teams and their supporters. I immersed myself in the friendly camraderie, took in and took photos of everyone and everything, and had an awesome time.

Five star accommodations
A small metropolis came up overnight on the grounds of the Seven Spring Resort. Seven Springs is actually a ski resort that dabbles in hosting other outdoor activities such as this mountain bike race when there's no snow on the slopes.

Pre-Race
Our two teams (Buffalo Riders I & II) were extremely well set up.
There was food.
There was a bike repair station.
There was our massage therapist Jessica.
There was Stacy, our mascot.
There was even a special emergency response team for assistance putting in contact lenses.

The Beginning
At the starting line, the tension and excitement were palpable, could almost taste it. Go! (The racers run a lap around the lake before getting to their bikes.)

During the Race
Ariana and Courtney got busy advertising Jessica's massage therapy services.

Throughout the race, many people sought Jessica's healing touch.
Even Stacy did ("The only part of me that doesn't hurt is my head... oh wait... I don't have one")

I managed to get a couple of shots at the crazy downhill and insane uphill sections (Had to walk and walk to get to these sections).
Saw Spencer off on the night rides too.

In all, most of our racers got in between 3 - 4 laps during the 24 hours (that's 36 - 48 miles). Several crashed at the 'rock gardens', and Spencer had to stop every once in a while to puke during his third (night) lap (food poisoning), but no serious casualties were reported.

What a great way to spend the weekend. See you all next year!

Check out the rest of my photos HERE!

xo Grace

p.s. It would be AWESOME if you could click on any ad here - my sponsors give me a few cents per click. Thanks for supporting my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you! Please do take a moment to leave your comment!