Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Butler YMCA Triathlon 7 July 2012 Report

I think I have just found myself a new favorite sprint distance triathlon. It's the Butler YMCA Triathlon. It calls for a 400 m swim, 7 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. Not that I took part or anything crazy like that. I merely spectated and snapped about 2000 photos of triathletes as they passed me. Still, I was pretty bushed at the end of the entire thing! (Note: If you raced, there is a high likelihood that there will be a pic of you in my uploaded album, and that pic may even be flattering! If you only want to check yourself out, skip down to the end - the link to the photo album is at the bottom of the post).

Ok, why is the Butler Tri my current fav? Well, it is the most, and I mean MOST laidback triathlon ever. Ever. They don't mark up bodies like in most other triathlons. The transition area isn't barricaded or regulated even, and nobody seems too concerned either. This totally laidback atmosphere, I totally dig!



Family, friends, supporters and racers move about freely in the Transition. No barricades!

Good example of transition set up. Love the shoes!


Search Amazon
for Lifeproof Cases
However, competition was anything but laidback for some of the more serious racers. As I shivered in the water waiting to capture pics of the water start, some folks looked really intense. (Pics were taken with the shockproof and waterproof  Panasonic DMC-TS3 Camera while my Iphone 4 in the Lifeproof Case captured the vids). Swimmers were let off in waves 5 minutes apart: orange, yellow, red, then white caps. Spencer and Ben registered on the day, were given white caps, which could be strategic, because there weren't many people in this wave. 

The last wave of swimmers: GO!



Safety during the point-to-point swim was great - lots of lifeguards with floaty buoys were at ready to assist, and boats were stationed at the (approx) 100 m and 300 m Big Turn Buoys. The course started off the beach on the right, straight out to the first buoy, then turning left to swim parallel to the shore, before making another left towards and exiting on a lovely grass-carpeted runway to Transition.

Check out those biceps!

I was a little concerned seeing one of the swimmers who was let off in the third wave. She alternated between freestyle and what seemed like doggy paddling, and flipped over on her back every 20 m or so. She was quickly left behind by the other red capped swimmers, but continued slowly onward, a lone red cap bobbing in the water. She was just about reaching the first buoy when the last wave was flagged off. I worried that she would get mauled by these swimmers as they caught up to her! I couldn't tell how the rest of her swim went but she finished, because I saw her going off for the bike and run later. I was inspired by her courage, and reminded of a dear buds of mine (who overcame her phobia of open water swimming in 'Taming the Fear"). Ya know, that's Why I Love Triathlon.

The 100 m buoy in the far distance. 

After the last wave went out, I hurried over to catch some of the swimmers exit the water. I snapped away until first Spencer, then Ben came out.

I didn't realize until sorting thru the pics later - tell me that isn't a butterfly in the water. :O

Then, I ran over to the Transition area and shot racers as they left on their bikes, and some as they rolled in back from the 7 mile bike leg, including Ben, with Spencer hot on his wheels. The temperature was steadily rising, and I could see that the heat was taking its toll on some of the racers. The organizers were constantly encouraging them to hydrate.

Ben B. on his way to winning his age group

By the time most racers started the run, it had become quite warm. Probably 90 degrees. I was very content - having grown up near the equator, this kinda weather is lovely. These race conditions made for a blistering Run Finish!

Lifeguards doing double duty as hydration personnel 
I'm looking forward to doing this triathlon, heck any triathlon, as soon as I can run again. I really like that they give out plenty of medals (16-20, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, >65 year age categories, both male and female). That works out to about 70 shots at glory, and for the 252 participants this year, about a one in three chance of going home with a shiny hunk of metal. Sweet! :)

Here are a few more of my favorite photos (click to enlarge):
Just an artsy pic
Waiting for the next wave to be let off
Best Baywatch Moment Dude!

Most exciting end-of-bike-leg

Biggest Smile

Just love this one.





Most Fiery Finish
Most Airborne Run Finish
Heroine of the Day
Check out my Race Photo Album containing 1000 pics. If you need any of these in high-resolution, let me know!

Check back for the Video of the various swim start waves too!

Race Results are posted at Runner's High, another race report on BoroRacer's blog and a piece in the Examiner by Carol Hamilton.

I love hearing from you, please do take a moment to leave a comment at the end of this post :)


xo Gracie

p.s. It would be AWESOME if you could click on any ad here - my sponsors give me a few cents per click. Thanks for supporting my blog!

6 comments:

  1. Great pictures...passed right by myself the 1st time through. It's a fun race, and being so laid back is the primary reason I always return to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eric! Glad you managed to find your pic in my album! I totally see why people keep coming back to race this too - the laid back vibe is awesome!

      Delete
  2. I totally love that I was listed as the "most fiery finisher"

    I started training and doing this stuff in late winter. This was my 4th Tri this year. I hear from others I can be seen giving it my all, specially at the finish when I sprint, grunt and cuss my way over the line.

    Great pictures and THANK YOU for sharing. Your picture is my first picture of myself at a finish line at a triathlon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, glad you found my blog and enjoyed the pics! Your Finish was inspiring and certainly remarkable! I'm so glad I managed to capture your first ever Tri Finish Pic - in fact I got about 6 pics in sequence starting https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102624367652490186449/albums/5763705144178907201/5763963270978127394 , and I believe there are a few at the swim start next to the beach too. Hope to see you at future races, and do come and say hi!

      Delete
    2. This was my fourth Tri, and I keep loosing more and more weight. It was exciting that you got a picture of the finish. I always try and finish as hard as I can regardless of how bad I hurt.

      Hopefully we'll see you at the Pittsburgh tri this weekend.

      Delete
    3. My gosh, you look totally awesome and fit, not to mention 100% On Fire! I might be at the Pittsburgh Tri this weekend, although I don't hold much hope of getting many good photos there as it will be crowded and difficult to get a good spot. Hope to see you there and all the best in the tri!

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from you! Please do take a moment to leave your comment!